First-time homebuyers don’t have everything in common. Also, being a first-time homebuyer now versus 5 to 10 years ago is very different.
They come from many different backgrounds, ages, situations, incomes, etc. However, at Raleigh Cary Realty, we have noticed that there are certain factors that many of them look for when buying a home these days.
5 key items that first-time homebuyers are looking for in Raleigh are:
- Open floor plans. According to Fixr, 90% of homebuyers want an open floor plan. The majority of those folks want it to be between the kitchen and the dining room and between the kitchen and the family room. If you are considering remodeling your home before selling it, talk to your contractor about the best way to open up your space so that there are no barriers between the kitchen and the common areas your family spends the most time.
- Multi-purpose spaces. Working from home is here to stay, so many new buyers are looking for rooms that can serve as multi-purpose rooms—including a home office. Sellers would be wise to consider staging their homes to show how spaces can be used in several ways simultaneously.
- Drinking water filtration systems. New homeowners care about the drinking water, and plain tap water is not cutting it for many of them. If your current refrigerator doesn’t have a filtered water dispenser, adding a filtration system to the kitchen faucet will go a long way.
- A rear porch or patio deck. The pandemic lead to families spending more time at home, and they started doing more backyard entertaining. As a result, having a home with a great patio (screened in is often better), that features exterior lighting and a gathering area like a fire pit or outdoor television is a top feature to show buyers.
- Energy efficiency. Younger buyers are concerned about energy usage—from a cost and a green factor. So, they are looking for homes that have high ENERGY STAR ratings from the appliances, lighting, windows, and HVAC. As homes get more expensive, buyers will want areas to save money by minimizing their energy bills.
For more factors that are important to new homeowners, contact us at Raleigh Cary Realty. If you are a first-time buyer looking for a home in the Triangle, call us at 919-439-0965