How to Save Money While Moving
Whether it is across town, across the state, or across the country, moving can be stressful. Packing up and loading all of your possessions on a truck just to unload them somewhere else is a lot of work. And, it can also be expensive. That’s why this week’s blog from Raleigh Cary Realty is about ways to save money while moving.
6 ways to save money while moving are:
1. Limit the Items in the Move: For starters, the more you move, the more it costs. So, before you pack all your belongings, take an inventory, decide what you no longer need, and then figure out how to part with it. Whether you have a garage sale, donate it, sell it online, or simply dispose of it, do not be afraid to let go of what you can.
2. Avoid Paying for Certain Items: Next use whatever you can to avoid paying for packing supplies like boxes, padding, tape, etc. If you have a move coming up, plan ahead by gathering boxes. In the old days, folks used to go to their local supermarket to get boxes. These days, it’s much easier to ask your neighbors to give you their packaging from online orders like Amazon. Many of those boxes also come with bubble wrap or packing paper that you can reuse.
3. Use Items You Already Have: After that, prepare to use your current blankets, towels, pillows, etc. to help secure bigger items. If you do not hire a moving company, shop around for the best rate on moving trucks. Many companies like U-Haul provide blankets, ratchet straps, and other materials that help protect your valuables. Pack clothes in suitcases, duffle bags, backpacks, grocery bags, etc.
4. Clear Out the Fridge: Try to eat as much of your perishable foods as before you leave. If you have a large freezer or spare refrigerator, use the food in there rather than dining out before the move.
5. Cancel Subscriptions: Look at all subscriptions you have, and cancel what you rarely use—cable, telephone, streaming services, magazines, etc.
6. Move on a Weekday: Finally, when possible, plan your move on a weekday. Rental trucks and moving companies are more expensive on weekends. For more tips or to find that new house to move into, contact us at Raleigh Cary Realty. We understand everything that goes on with moving into or out of a house.