When purchasing a new home you don’t have to worry about all of the problems that come with older ones, right? Wrong. New construction homes have issues of their own.
Here are some FAQ’s that are important to ask when buying new construction:
- Who is the builder? The quality of a home depends on the ability and experience of it’s builder. Before committing to a builder, do your research to make sure they have the reputation and experience to build a well-built home.
- What are the standard features of the home, and what are considered extras? Each builder has a list of standard features and extras that can be added on, for an additional cost. Be sure to ask for this list so that you know which items will require extra room in your budget.
- Do you offer any energy saving features in your homes? Energy saving features will reduce impact on the environment and save you money. Energy efficient homes are one of the hottest trends today!
- How long will it take to build? The builder should be able to provide a clear estimate of how long building will take. It is important to be flexible as no one can predict what the weather will be like but there should be a plan in place. You may want to ask what happens if the house is not done on time as well.
- Are there price differences on lots? Is it worth paying extra for a lot that is flat and more usable? Or how about a lot that puts you at a better location in the neighborhood (by the pool, park, in a cul-de-sac, etc.).
- Does the home come with a builder’s warranty? The typical time frame for a builder’s warranty is one year. Make sure that a good warranty is provided to give you peace of mind.
It is important to have a real estate agent who has experience in new construction to work with you. We at Raleigh Cary Realty are happy to help and will make sure that you ask all of the right questions and your expectations are met.